Thursday, February 14, 2013

oh dear

For those of you who follow me on instagram/facebook I am sure you have seen the pictures i have posted of the paintings I copied from Katie Daisy. I am a HUGE fan of her work and i loved copying her paintings for fun. If you want to see some more of her amazing pieces she has a shop on etsy called thewheatfield and it is AMAZING.

It was while I was copying some of her stuff that I thought that maybe I can create some of my own with using her as my inspiration. Therefore the creation of Latter Day Sayings. I was pretty excited about it! At first I was nervous that she would be upset that the sayings I was making would be so similar to hers, and then I thought "this girl is so talented and so successful that she wont care what the heck I do. I mean she has contracts with pottery barn, she has sold over 20,000 items on etsy, she has illustrated a book for crying out loud!" So i decided not to worry about it. and Honestly i figured she would appreciate me trying to create my own then just copy hers. So I set to work. and then yesterday I got a comment on my instagram account on a picture I posted:



"you are very talented but I wish you wouldn't copy another artist's work. Develop your own style it will feel a lot more rewarding and you certainly have the talent to do so. I noticed the artist has seen your work."

To be honest I am not sure how I should respond to this. I have no idea who this person is. I am extremely aware that it is similar to katie daisy, I have no problem admitting that she is absolutely my inspiration for these sayings and I give all the credit to her. But is this person right? Should I be ashamed that I didnt come up with an original idea? I dont know and I am seriously considering just shutting down my etsy shop. The last thing I want to do is offend others. I think right now I am just a little heartbroken.

4 comments:

  1. I think that you're incredibly talented and if anything I would message katie daisy. You aren't selling her actual paintings so I don't think there's anything wrong. Yeah they're the same style but how are you suppose to change your style?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. There is a fine line when it comes to infringement but with art sometimes that line becomes fuzzy. If you are trying to do exact repros of the originals then definitely stop before you get sued but if you are trying to adapt that style into something that is more personal for you then go for it. With time you will find ways to make it your own more and more. I find myself searching through magazines and books looking for awesome pics to go take. Those pics are based off of someone else's work. I don't feel guilty in the least. The more I shoot, the more I find ways to put my little mark on it. It comes with time. If you still feel guilty....maybe just mention up front on your storefront that your main inspiration is found through her and mention that you won't do exact copies of any of her work. Including a link to her page might help to.

    A lot of your skeptics end up being armchair quarterbacks that will sit there and pick apart your work simply because they can't do what you can do.

    Love you sis!

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pray about it. That is my best advice. As long as you do everything with good intentions and honesty, that is all that matters. Art is inspired by everything we encounter every single day. Its impossible not to pick and ball from different aspects.

    Keep up the good work, don't worry too much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with Charlie. We are always looking around for ideas and often our inspiration comes from something we see...look at all the knock offs at Target, Walmart, and Ikea of something we might see a Pottery Barn. Just look at all of the similar items on etsy. Clothing, scarves, purses, hats, flowers, etc. All of those people are doing something they are good at, and that they love to do, so don't let anyone stop you from making your mark and doing what you are so obviously talented at. I say don't give up and keep doing what you are doing to develop your talent.

      Love you!

      Delete